Tom de Waard started as a practicing lawyer with Stibbe in 1971 and became a partner in 1979. After practicing corporate law at Stibbe for 29 years, 5 of which he spent in New York, he became a partner in the corporate section at Clifford Chance in 2000.
Tom was the Dean of the Dutch Bar Association (Nederlandse Orde van Advocaten) from 1993 to 1995. He was also the chair of the Board of the Amsterdam office of Stibbe until 2000. He was the Managing Partner at Clifford Chance in the Netherlands between 2002 and 2005, and from 2005 to 2007 he represented Continental Europe on the firm’s Global Management Committee.
In 2011 Tom founded DeWaardSinke Advocaten specialized in corporate law, corporate litigation and arbitration. Tom became partner of VIOTTA Advocaten in October 2018.
Specialized in corporate law and arbitration representing industrial companies, private equity firms and financial institutions, technology, media and telecom (TMT) and electronics companies in stock and/or cash acquisitions, mergers, tender offers and going-private transactions, public bids, capital market transactions, technology-based transactions, strategic partnerships and financing transactions, often in cross-border settings. Tom also advises on company formation, corporate governance, private and public financing.
Representative matters Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures and PE Investments.
- Advised mCube on acquisition of Xsense
- Advised Harbour BioMed on acquisition of Harbour Antibodies
- Advised Management and Workers on acquisition of Panteia B.V. from Stichting Panteia
- Advised MC Groep on acquisition of Slotervaart
- OXXIO on the acquisition of its shares*
- APG and PGGM on sale of Alpinvest to The Carlyle Group*
- Lyondell Basel emergence from chapter 11 and completion of restructuring of the Lyondell Basel Group*
- CapGemini on acquisition of Getronics*
- Barclays on public bid of ABN AMRO*
- Endemol Entertainment Holding N.V. on IPO*
- KKR acquisition of Vendex*
- Ballast Nedam on acquisition by Hochtief*
- Reliant acquisition UNA (Houston Industries)*
- Priority Telecom on IPO on Euronext Amsterdam*
- NEA (SEP) on Divestiture of deep-sea link between Norway and the Netherlands to Tennet and Statnet*
- Van Ommeren NV on merger with Royal Pakkoed N.V. (VOPAK)*
- Reliant on Divestiture of UNA to Nuon*
- KNP on merger with Bührmann-Tetterode and VRG*
- AMRO on merger with ABN*
- Scotts Branche Mine on acquisition by MAPCO Inc.*
- Centrafarm Group NV on acquisition by Warburg Pincus*
*Denotes experience prior to VIOTTA.
- Tom is a Non-Executive Director of the Board of XSens Holding B.V.
Tom is also an arbitrator on the panel of the Netherlands Arbitration Institute (NAI), of the Kuala Lumpur regional Centre of Arbitration and of the Singapore Arbitration Institute.
- Tom chaired the Supervisory Board of BE Semiconductor Industries N.V. (BESI) and was a member of BESI’s Audit Committee and Remuneration Committee.
- Member of the Supervisory Board of CWT Europe B.V.
- Executive Director of the Board of Nexperia Holding B.V.
- Chairman of the Board of the Share Administration Office of Telegraaf Media Groep N.V.
- Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Fortuna Entertainment Group N.V.
- Member of the Supervisory Board N.V. Nuon Energy and Chairman of its Renumeration Committee.
- Member of the Supervisory Board STMicroelectronics, Chairman of its Audit Nomination and Corporate Governance Committees | Member of its Audit Committee and Remuneration Committee.